They say a picture is worth a thousand words, and the same could be said for a first impression at a job interview. One of the most important factors of preparing for an interview is how you present yourself to the company, not only mentally and emotionally, but physically as well. It is important to paint a good, professional portrait of yourself to the employer, showing that not only do you want the position, but you are fully prepared for what the job will entail. This will of course include how you dress and present yourself. Before you say a single word to the interviewer, you have already made your first impression based on what you are wearing. Keep in mind that every company will have a different dress code, but when it comes to professional interviews, it will be pretty consistent in terms of what you should wear.
According to a Forbes articles from 2014, 80% of job candidates dress the part in their interviews, while the other 20% don’t. That means about 20% can lose the job before they’ve uttered one word! The other eye-popping statistic in that study was that first impressions are made within the first 30 seconds of job interviews. This is why it is so vital that you are aware and on top of how you dress for any job interview. The better you dress, the better odds you have of not only getting the job you desire but moving up the ladder in the company you work for. Here we will describe the best outfits for both men and women in the typical job interview that are surefire ways to help get you that position!
All in all, it is much better to be overdressed than dressed too casual for any interview. You should make sure you match, and that your shoes are well-polished and in good condition. Also, make sure your shoes match your belt. Be sure to shave before your interview, unless you have a full beard or mustache, and in this case just make sure that it is trimmed and neat-looking. Ultimately, you are dressing to impress. These may seem like a lot of rules, but it is all for a greater cause: getting you that job! Dressing professionally shows that you have respect for yourself, the interviewer, and the company as a whole. You need to be taken seriously, and the best way to do this is to present yourself in a professional manner and take the time to attend to the small details that will make you dress and feel like a super star!
A few other things to keep in mind for both genders are piercings, such as gauges, nose or tongue piercings. You may want to consider removing them for the interview, just so you can keep a conservative look for the interview and not create any unwanted distractions. Also, tattoos may be acceptable for some companies, but others will definitely eliminate some candidates based on body art. It is best to cover any tattoos you may have that could be visible otherwise until you know whether or not the company is ok with people, in the position you are interviewing for, showing their tattoos. Another good thing to remember is not to have any wild or crazy hair colors, as that could be considered a distraction as well. Certain companies will have dress codes based on visible piercings, tattoos, and wild hair colors, and it is best to abide by these rules so you can put your best foot forward and have the greatest interview experience possible!
Overall, dressing professionally is the way to go. As mentioned previously, these may seem like a lot of rules, but it will definitely help you in the long run. According to Undercover Recruiter, 65% of bosses indicate that clothing could be a deciding factor between two almost-identical candidates. Knowing this, any job candidate should know that clothes do in fact make the man (or woman!). Showing respect for the company, interviewer, and yourself is vital to a successful interview and ultimately earning a new job. Whether you are interviewing to be a saleswoman, marketing analyst, accountant, or consultant, dressing and preparing for any job interview will help you feel confident and will show your dedication to the position and ultimately that you take the whole process very seriously. Be the best you!
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.